From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Irons
Price: $699, steel (set of six)
WE TESTED: 5-PW with Project X Flighted steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The heads are forged from 1020 carbon steel for enhanced feel. It has a taller face progression for more Tour-like control, and offers versatility from a variety of lies due to “relief” in the heel, toe, leading edge and trailing edge.
OUR TESTERS SAY: A feel-oriented forging that provides respectable, if unspectacular, performance.
PLAYABILITY: Very nice, maneuverable clubs work from many lies; provide a controlled medium trajectory.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Good accuracy on solid swings, almost point and shoot; there’s just enough forgiveness to let you hit different shots and be creative without having to be perfect with your ballstriking.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Consistent from club to club—distances are typically what you’d expect; adequate length on center strikes.
FEEL: Strong and sturdy at impact; mis-hits don’t sting, they feel soft; lots of head feel but not too heavy; plenty of head weight to power through impact.
LOOK: Very nice classic shape with well-hidden game-improvement features; they set up square, making them easy to align.
Not as long as some other clubs; one group of testers finds considerable distance loss on off-center hits; leading edge is sharper than some would like.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Tour Confidential: Should Tiger Play Bay Hill or Wait for the Masters?
- Deep Thoughts With WGC-Cadillac Champion Patrick Reed
- Tumble Like Rory to Knock Your Fairway Woods Pin High
- 'In Conversation With': Richard Kind and David Morse on Acting and Golf
- Learn Walker's 'Spider-Man' Move
- Tour Confidential: Match Play Event In Trouble?
- 'In Conversation With' Preview: Richard Kind and David Morse
- Tour Confidential: Why 'Caddyshack' Endures
- Deep Thoughts With Jason Day
- Johnny Miller: 3 Tour Trends That Need To End Now!